Byrek ose Lakror
2 large leeks, cleaned and very thinly sliced (use only the white/light green part. Thick slices and/or green parts won’t cook properly)
1/4 cup greek yogurt (or regular yogurt strained for 30 minutes)
1 lbs. cottage cheese, strained for 30 minutes
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme, or dried thyme, ground
salt, to taste (remember, feta cheese is very salty)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 package puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except for leeks. When the mixture is smooth and blended, add diced leeks. Set aside.
3. Roll one sheet of puff pastry into a 15″ circle. Place pastry on the bottom of a 9″ pie dish.
NOTE: You can also lay the puff pastry down in your pie dish square. Just angle the top piece over it, so that you create a “star.” This overlap will give you enough crust to roll the edges.
4. Fill pie dish with leek mixture.
5. Roll second sheet of puff pastry into a 15″ circle. Cover the pie with the pastry lid. Press the edges together and roll up to seal in the juices. Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let cool 1 hour before slicing or the filling will fall apart (EXTREMELY important!). Eat slightly warm or at room temperature.